Monday, August 12, 2013

What Dreams Are Made Of (Day 11)

Day 11- Describe your dream horse
I used to think that I knew what kind of horse I wanted.  I used to think that I wanted a big, black, thoroughbred that could jump the moon and was at least proficient on the flat.  I also used to think that I wanted to be a dolphin trainer.  Dreams are fluid, and as such, the idea of my dream horse has changed over the years.  Right now, I have a beautiful, sound, opinionated bay mare with a funny face marking and more personality than she knows what to do with.  I love her more than I can explain and I think that she came into my life for a reason - I think that we are ultimately perfect for one another.  In a lot of ways, she reminds me of a bigger, more outspoken version of Dusty.  She's not easy, but she always makes me smile, and in her own way, she has fulfilled a lot of my dreams.  Do I sometimes wish I had a big, fancy horse that could teach me upper-level dressage stuff while also being something I could go on hacks with?  Yeah, that would be nice.  But I also sometimes wish I could fly.  
What I do want eventually - and most people would probably think I'm crazy for wanting it - is a foal from Dee.  Obviously, I will not be breeding her until I am making enough money to guarantee that a) I can breed to the right stallion, b) I could support Dee through the pregnancy vet expenses, c) I can then afford to support two horses, and d) I can afford the support of a trainer to help with the little bundle when the time comes to start it.  I made a promise to Dee that I would not sell her, and I plan to keep that promise.  I will only be breeding her when I can extend that same promise to the baby.  Yes, Dee has her issues, but even if I DID end up with a baby that inherits all of her issues, that would be 110% ok with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment