Thursday, August 15, 2013

Baby It's Cold Outside - Day 12

We had a downright cold-front yesterday!  That is... if you consider 80 degrees a cold front, we had that.  It has been pretty oppressively hot and humid lately, and yesterday we finally got a break from the humidity, with temperatures only climbing to 80 throughout the day.  To celebrate, Dee and I worked in the big outdoor (I've been staying in the covered arena because it is SO much cooler).  Dee was really hell bent on celebrating, too.  She was pretty good, but high as a kite (think tail sticking straight up for the whole ride) and unwilling to relax in the trot work for most of the ride.  The canter work was a whole different story, and despite a squealing head toss during the first upward transition, she was relaxed and rideable, and after a walk break, she remained semi-relaxed for a few minutes to give me some not-so-great-but-i'll-accept-it stretchy trot.  
She is starting to really pick up some weight, too, I think.  Her flank area looks like it has filled out quite a bit, and I feel like she looks plumper in general, which I like.  I don't want her to be porky, but I do want her to be pleasantly plump.

Day 12- Favorite horse book

Wow, I've read so many that it's hard to choose.  The book that has stayed with me over the years since reading it, though, is probably Man o' War by Walter Farley.  It is a fictionalized biography of Big Red, and made me fall in love with him.  I remember being young when I read it, maybe 11 or so, and curling up in bed to read about how Big Red trounced the field this time.  Sometimes books just give you a great feeling deep down inside, and this one did that.

No comments:

Post a Comment