Monday, August 5, 2013

30 Day Challenge... Day 7

Day 07- Biggest riding pet peeve

Being inconsiderate.  Nothing bothers me more, from both other riders and people on foot.  When there are two of us in the ring, and I am keeping an eye out to stay out of your way, I expect the same courtesy.  I shouldn't have to be constantly avoiding crashing into you because you pay no attention to where you're telling your horse to go (at one event, a girl literally rear-ended Tango and I while we were walking at the rail... she was lucky that he didn't kick or freak-out... if that had been Dee I have the feeling someone would have died).  Plus, if someone else is clearly having issues with their horse (he is extra high, or whatever), I will usually just call over and ask if the person minds if I do something like canter, which, from experience, can really get a high horse going.  I don't know... common courtesy, I guess.

And then there are the people on the ground.  If your kids are playing hideaway in the long grass next to the arena and freaking out the horse in the ring because they keep appearing out of nowhere, tell them to stop.  If your dog is barking his head off and clearly upsetting the horse in the ring, get it under control (and do it even if the horse doesn't care... that's obnoxious).  

No comments:

Post a Comment