Friday, April 1, 2011

Dusty and Dee


FINALLY, some proper video of Dee! She's not being very respectful of the little jump (she seemed more concerned with playing around before and after. The jump was just something to get out of the way of). Steph agrees that she probably needs to be challenged a bit more in that department.
That said, I've got some hard decisions to make. After talking to Steph, my parents, and even some of my friends, it seems that the general consensus is that I would be stupid to keep her through school. I'm not sure that I disagree. My main trepidation with leasing her is that someone will take her on lease and then decide that they don't want to keep leasing her. At that point, I'll be stuck trying to take care of a horse when a) I have no time, because law school is pretty all-consuming and b) I have no money, because at least for my first semester, I will have no job. Then what do I do? I don't want to end up in a situation where her well-being is compromised. I desperately want to keep her, but maybe I'm just being selfish. My other worry is that the job market out of law school isn't great, and I'm going to be in debt up to my ears. Can I really be sure that I'll be able to support a horse and myself on top of paying off loans? If anyone reading would like to weigh in, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Now, with all that weighing on my mind yesterday, I headed over to Stoneleigh-Burnham School to visit the best mare ever - Dusty! I was so excited to see her. When I got there, I stopped someone who was bringing horses in and asked if he knew Dusty. He said no, the name didn't ring a bell. Then he checked the stall-listing, and there was no horse named Dusty on it. Hmm. Ok, well... maybe they changed her name. I went to the office to speak with the head of the program.
Before I go on, I would like to add that Jen sent her an e-mail the day before telling her I would be stopping by, and to call or e-mail if that was a problem.
Well, apparently it WAS a problem, but the woman just didn't bother to tell Jen. The problem? They SOLD Dusty. SOLD HER. They never even sent Jen a message or gave her a heads up. The worst part of that is that Jen had specifically told them that if Dusty didn't work out for their program, that she would take her back. She didn't want her to just be sold on. To add insult to injury, when I asked the woman who they sold Dusty to, she told me she didn't know! Now, between Jen and the people who used to lease her, there were plenty of people who could have worked together to find a nice home for Dusty, and it was specifically requested that they be notified if Dusty wasn't good for the program. I am appalled that Stoneleigh just sold her on without ever contacting Jen.
Jen is going to try to get more information about what happened to Dusty and why she wasn't contacted, and I will update as I find out.
The moral of this story? Don't send your horse to Stoneleigh.

Dusty, I hope you're ok, wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment