Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Pitter Patter of Tiny Hooves?

As of right now, I've had exactly ZERO inquiries on miss Dee. I can't claim that I'm upset, because part of me REALLY truly wants to hang onto her. I mean, we'll see if I'm still singing the same tune when I'm back on her and trying to get her out to competitions, but I have a good feeling about this season. I think she's growing up. Finally.
Yesterday, I drove up to Washington to see Bettina and the boys, which was great. I've been in such a state of horse-withdrawal that it was nice to give all the boys a scratch. Plus, Kiko is leaving today to start a career as a breeding stallion, so I likely won't see him again. The plan is to teach him to breed, get a few covers under his belt, and then sell him on, so chances are he won't be back to the farm. I'm sad to see him go, because I really like him (I especially like hanging out in his stall with him and picking all of the sticks out of his mane... he seems to collect them). While I was up there, I got to watch Ilyad work. I've only ever seen him toodle around his paddock, and while he's cute in his paddock, I NEVER imagined how gorgeous he is under saddle. First of all, he's got a beautiful, BIG canter that is SO balanced... breathtaking. He is also quick as a cat and can go from 60 to spinning at the drop of a dime. No wonder these horses are used for bull fighting. The other thing I was amazed at is how Bettina was able to actually get him to stop a leg in mid-air, or by just shifting, could have him crouching down on his haunches, suspended in mid-step. It was beautiful. She is such an amazing horse woman, and to watch her on such a stunning stallion was a treat.
Anyway, we got to talking about the youngsters that will be coming to town soon. One of them is an Ilyad baby that is out of Taz's mother. I'm excited to meet this one! The other? Baby Gee! Mimi's latest wonderful creation! Baby Gee has been living down in Florida, but it's finally time for him to come up to CT. I've seen many photos, and can't wait to meet the little guy.
Well. I've said all that to say this:
We got talking about miss Dee and how she's coming along. Bettina mentioned something about how well she would pair with a Lusitano (with great hocks) down the road. In reply, I said something to the effect of needing to find a way to hold onto her through school if that's to happen. Bettina might have an interesting solution for me. She may (possibly) be looking for a well put together TB mare to use as a broodmare. I guess she has had this black Hanoverian stallion in mind for a long time. I can't remember his name for the life of me, but she's looking for a TB match for him. It certainly wouldn't be the worst thing for her to spend some time being a mommy. So... who knows? There may be the pitter patter of baby hooves in Dee's future...

No comments:

Post a Comment