Saturday, September 7, 2013

Violently Happy

Sometimes I forget what a fabulous little jump-machine my mare is.  I upped the fences a tiny bit from last week, but still kept them pretty small, because let's face it: neither of us has jumped in two years, and I don't need her getting hurt from too-much-too-soon.  I also worry that if the jumps get too big my back will not hold up.  Well, I've decided that if we are going to keep doing a weekly jump session, Dee needs a little more challenge in her life.  She was a little bit wild today - not wild in a way where I was worried, but wild in a way where she was intentionally over-jumping things and then celebrating on the other side.  Thankfully, she has breaks, and even when she is excited and making bids at the fences, I am generally ok with softening for the last stride or two no matter what and letting her do her thing, because I know she's going to jump and that she probably won't kill me on the other side, even if she does do some head tossing, leapy celebrations.  She does have breaks.  With such tiny jumps today, she was just fooling around the whole time, enjoying herself thoroughly.  While I love to see her having so much fun, I think it's probably a good idea to make her think a bit more about what she's doing, and take her job a little more seriously.  
Too Much of a Challenge, I think.

Day 19- A discipline you would like to do that you’ve never done before
Cutting!  I've done a bit of reining, but I think it would be SO fun to sit on a real cow horse and do some cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment