Sunday, September 15, 2013

"Lazy Sunday, Amy?"

No, FEI TV, it's not.  Thanks for rubbing that in, though.  When I woke up at 6:30 this morning so that I can be in the library by 8, that was the e-mail sitting at the top of my inbox.  It's like the world is mocking me.  Or, FEI TV is, at least.  
This week is out of control already, starting yesterday.  I spent a solid 8 hours reading in the library yesterday (with a riding break thrown in -- I'm not THAT masochistic!) and have a solid day ahead of me today.  Who was the jerk who made up the lie that we're all supposed to be bored to death during our 3rd year?

Anyway, all that to say I'll probably be slightly MIA for awhile... October 18 I will be "free" again. I'll try to post before then, though.

Dee was really lovely yesterday.  We had some nice fall-like weather, and aside from not wanting to take the left lead, she was excellent.  Some really nice trot work.  She's finally starting to come up in front by herself a little because she's getting stronger behind and I love it.  

Day 22- The importance of riding in your life
At this point, I have been riding for 21 years.  My riding habit is old enough to buy its own alcohol.  I'd say that it's gone way past the point of "just a phase."  I had a conversation with my non-horsey friend the other day, and she was saying that most people just couldn't ride, because it is really expensive and if you aren't from a wealthy family you have to spend too much time working to do it.  I told her this was patently false.  The truth is that most people don't want to spend the time.  I gave up a lot of things to be able to do what I love.  I can't tell you how often I opted not to go on a family vacation, or had to decline hanging with friends because the horses take precedence.  Was is a bummer sometimes?  I guess.  But it made my riding habit possible, and that was what mattered.  This December, I will be celebrating 4 years with Dee.  It's kind of hard to believe it's been so long.  


Day 23- Your worst riding habits
I have a hunchback like quasi modo sometimes, and I have a bad habit of curling my wrists.  

Day 24- Your best riding friend
French Fry!  She doesn't really ride anymore, and we don't live in the same state, but we've been friends for years and years and years and she is definitely my best any-friend.  

Day 25- Your dream trailer
I need a truck before I can dream about a new trailer.

Day 26- Your grooming routine
It's pretty simple:
Step 1 - scrub with curry, laugh at all of her funny "I love this" faces.
Step 2 - bang dirt off with medium-soft brush.  Yell at her for trying to bite and question why she loves being roughly curried but hates the nice brush.
Step 3 - footsies
Step 4 - boot up
Step 6 - saddle - yell at her for trying to bite again.
Step 5 - make her put on her fly hat.  She always looks depressed at this.
Step 6 - bridle / helmet

Day 27- You know your an equestrian when….. (Give 5 original ones)
1.You casually mention to some acquaintances, at 10am, that you're heading to the barn soon, and they all give you a funny look.  One of them then speaks up and says "seriously?  Isn't it a bit early to be drinking?"  
2. You don't think anything of having whips in your house and car.
3. For your birthday, you splurge and buy your horse a message, because "when she's happy I'm happy."
4. All of your "selfies" on facebook have a horse face in them with you.
5. You have no qualms about walking into the grocery store in the tan riding pants that have a black/brown stain on the butt from your saddle despite the fact that it probably looks like you had a weird accident in them.

Day 28- Helmet or no helmet?
Helmet.  Always.  My head has still not fully healed from my concussion in June.

Day 29- A style/trend in tack/etc. that you don’t like
I am so not "up" on the trends - in horse tack or human clothes.  I dp hate lots of gadgets, though I'm not sure if that's a trend or not.  The most "kitted out" Dee has ever been when I ride her has been a breastplate and fancy browband (attached to her plain black bridle with the eggbutt french link).  

Day 30- Your Future With Horses
Dee is my future.  And maybe a baby Dee.

Ok ok, I'm procrastinating.  Time to go to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment