Thursday, September 5, 2013

Fever Sleeves

So, as I was sitting in class today, fellow Law Student boarder messages me on Facebook to let me know that apparently a horse died last week at the barn and another one may have died today... from what may or may not be Potomac Horse Fever.  Somehow, I had no idea about this, and from what I'm told, Dee and I were walking by the covered-up dead horse for two days without knowing (seriously, mare!?  you are NOT supposed to be ok with wandering by a dead horse!).  I called the vet today in a panic after I heard, because Dee isn't vaccinated for that and I don't know much about it.  They are going to vaccinate tomorrow, and apparently the vet hasn't yet isolated what the cause it -- it could be Potomac, but it could also be Salmonella or Ecoli.  The Potomac test came back negative, but she told me that might not mean anything.  Ugh.  I've just got my fingers crossed that she doesn't get sick, because I don't know what I would do if anything happened to her.

Day 17- Your equestrian idol

I suppose I have a few of them.  I've always really admired Phillip Dutton and William Fox-Pitt.  I'm also quite fond of Charlotte Dujardin, who is not an eventer, but gosh she is impressive.  Two more that I will add, who you may or may not have heard of, are Stephie Baer and Bettina Drummond, who are not only brilliant riders and trainers, but also some of the most caring and wonderful women I have ever had the pleasure of working with.


No comments:

Post a Comment