Friday, March 18, 2011

Orange

My baby is currently living two and a half hours away from me at Stephie's. Of course, I'm happy about it, because I can't ride and she needs to learn how to be an event horse, but I miss her! We had to drive up there in a driving rain storm, which was a nightmare. By the time I got up past Springfield, it was raining so hard that I could barely see the road. I ended up just getting off the highway and taking rt. 202 all the way in. It tacked on another half hour to the trip, but it was much safer. Steph offered to get on her when we got there, so I got to see her go.
There were two or three bitchy moments, but overall she was a good girl, and I must say... She's a PRETTY mare. She's gotten much more steady in the bridle, and WOW... when she's soft and round, she's quite fancy! The canter needs a ton of work, but even that got better as she went. What would REALLY help our canter is if her withers grew a bit more so that she stops being a bit downhill.
The day before we left, Bettina had a free lunge session with us. As Dee was galloping around, Bettina just said to me "If you can't make the time on this thing, then you're a chicken shit." It's true. Her stride is MASSIVE, and her gallop looks like SO much fun. I can't wait to try it out this spring!
In other news, Dusty has moved up to Stonleigh Burnham. Jen told me that if I let her know when I'm heading up to visit Dee, she'll call into Stonleigh and tell them I'm coming for a visit so that I can see Dusty, too. I'm excited to see the old girl... she was, quite possibly, the most amazing horse I ever had. She came into my life at the exact right time, and we complimented each other perfectly. Will Dee be the next Dusty? I hope so... Dusty may be small, but she left some huge shoes to fill.

No comments:

Post a Comment