Thursday, July 29, 2010

Being Backwards

Sometimes I feel like I must be the worst rider in the world. I'm incredibly frustrated with myself, but things may be looking up. Dee and I took a trip to Nancy's today to get some sense knocked into us and I'll tell you what, she had to do some pretty hard knocking. I've been riding terribly backwards, and while nancy blamed the fact that I ride in a small ring, I know that's not really it. The small ring makes it easier to ride backwards, but I've always had this problem and it's a bad habit that I quickly fall back into if someone isn't hassling me about it. It also doesn't help that I don't handle the spooking and bolting the way I should. Rather than sitting up and calmly handling the problem, I panic, lean forward and pull back... NOT the way to deal with it. I didn't really fix that today, but Nancy did have me riding a little bit less backward by the end, and seems to think that the issues we've been having aren't as huge as I've made them out to be.
I do love this mare, and I know that she's very nice. I just wish I rode her better. I think I may talk to my uncle about getting on one or two of his horses a few times a week, just to log more hours in the saddle. Before I do that, though, it looks like Dee and I may be spending a week at Nancy's! She's got a stall available, and I can afford to put Dee up there for a week. Riding in a huge ring for a week will do us a world of good.

No comments:

Post a Comment