Sunday, April 25, 2010

Rolex

Yup, it's that time of year again! I really wish I could have been in Kentucky this weekend, but alas, with finals looming and most of my time revolving around papers and presentations, a lovely weekend at Rolex just wasn't in the cards. I tried to purchase the live feed from Universal, but for some reason I can't make it work on my computer, so I've been obsessively watching the live blog that Eventing Nation has been kindly providing. I've also been indulging in the different ride videos, interviews and behind the scenes photos. I suppose it's the next best thing to being there!
It's shaping up to be an exciting day today, with William Fox-Pitt in the lead going into show jumping.
On the home front, we've moved the horses out of the bottom pasture and up into the front pasture. This will give the bottom a chance to dry out and grow a bit more, and the girls are pretty thrilled to be in the big front field. It's a little bit of a pain doing turn-out up there, though. The 1/4 mile walk from the field to the barn is not so fun when you have 4 horses to bring in and then chuck back out, so yesterday I decided to try a different approach. Friday I brought them in two at a time, which resulted in lots of screaming back and forth to each other and me walking an extra mile. Yesterday, I figured... hey, they're all good girls. I may as well just haul them all in at once. Roxy and Casper will pretty much come in by themselves anyway, so they're easy, and Summer and Dee are perfect ladies to lead. I just put Summer and Dee right next to me and had Roxy on the outside of Dee and Casper on the outside of Summer. Getting them into the barn was a bit tricky, but we managed with no issues! I think these are probably the only 4 horses that I would EVER do that with. I used to do 3 at a time at steph's, but those were the boys in the far paddock, and I only had to lead them through the middle paddock to get to the barn, so it was pretty simple... this is four of them down the driveway for a quarter mile. Gotta love the little ladies for being so wonderful!
Here are a few photos of the girls in the front field, enjoying their grass:





And here's a little video. Sorry that it's the wrong way, I'm still working out this whole video thing!

And Finally... Dee and I before our ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment