Saturday, April 10, 2010

Free Jumping (Launching?)

So, I decided to have Dee do a little bit of "free jumping" yesterday. I didn't let her off of the lounge, because I didn't want her to just run around. I set up the 13" height next to the fence with a guide rail on the open side. First I put a side down and let her walk over it (no problems), then I sent her out to tackle the full 13" solo. She was adorable, to say the least. Approached it just the way I like to see - stretching her neck out and looking at it - and then just LAUNCHED herself over it. her HOOVES were about a foot and a half over top, and her body? I don't even know. I think her reasoning was, 'well, I don't know what to do with these big long legs I have, so I'll just jump SO HIGH that I don't have to worry about them'. Abbett used to do that a little bit. She trotted over it about 5 times and then I got ambitious and put one side of the jump up to 2' (left the other side down for her). It didn't phase her at all. Same ole' quiet approach and huge leap. We only did that once because I really didn't want her to do too much and she was such a good girl. I made a huge fuss over her and told her how wonderful she was, and I swear, she had quite the little spring in her step on the way back to the barn. I think she was proud of herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment