Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Room With A View

Settling in nicely
 Dee has officially moved in to her new home.  The trip started out with some stress, as the trailer was a straight-load step-up.  Straight-loads she does no problem, but I have the feeling she'd never been in a step up, and this particular one was a bit odd, because the only way for me to get out was to climb out the side window/half-door.  So, the first few tries didn't work so well.  It ended up with her coming in, saying "Oh, sorry mom, I don't want to crowd you," and then kind of falling off the back, at which point she would get scared and fly backwards.  After a few tries, I finally convinced her that it was ok to crowd me a little, and we managed to get the back closed.  Poor thing.  The one time in her life that she's being polite, she didn't have to!

Ready to hit the road
Half an hour of driving later, she arrived at her new home.  In typical Dee fashion, she got off the trailer, made herself as big as possible, bugged her eyes out, looked around, and then relaxed and walked into the barn.  As soon as she got into her stall she sniffed her neighbors, looked out the window, and then started scavenging for hay scraps.  I'm glad she's not the type to fret about new surroundings.

After I got my things put away, I popped on her and let her wander around the two different rings.  She was a little bit looky, but generally took it all in stride.  We ended with a little bit of stretchy trot and then I called it a day, just in time to miss the crazy rainstorm that was rolling through.

As an aside, I think I have mentioned the old couple who loved to give Dee treats and thought she was just lovely.  Well, I was really happy to see the woman at the barn today before Dee and I made our exit.  I told her that I would miss the barn, and thought Dee would miss it, too.  She replied, "we'll miss Dee, too.  I just love her.  She has such a great personality!  She and that calico cat... they're both kind of crazy, and just so entertaining."

So... Dee is apparently just like a crazy calico cat.  I'll buy it.  She does have a little bit of feline-spirit.  Maybe that's part of the reason I love her so much.  We both have a little bit of feline-spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment