Monday, July 30, 2012

Please Get Ready To Exit From the Left-a Side.


What a whirlwind of a month it’s been.  Tomorrow, I’ll be on a flight to Chicago, time travelling my way back to the US.  I’ve enjoyed you, Shanghai, but I’m ready to go home. 

The past 5 days have been a bit wild, but here goes.  Wednesday night started off on the 92nd floor of the Shanghai World Financial Center drinking free Champagne.  The view was amazing, the music was good and the dancing was fun, but the free champagne stopped at 10, so it was off to hit up some other Ladies Night deals around Shanghai.  Unsurprisingly, we decided free Margaritas at Zapatas were in order, and still likely a bit punch-drunk from our trip to Beijing, we wrangled ourselves a van and haggled ourselves a good price.  That poor man really didn’t know what he had gotten himself into.  Courtney, Lauren and I serenaded him with “I like big butts” and then Alice and Toni jumped in with an Australian folk song (Waltzing Matilda, if I’m not mistaken), followed by their national anthem.  Not to be outdone, Courtney and I performed what must have been the world’s worst rendition of the Star Spangled Banner.  Tomcats caterwauling in alleyways have sounded more appealing.
After an appropriate amount of dancing at Zapatas and somewhere in the vicinity of 3 margaritas, we were off again, this time to M2.  This time, we grabbed a regular cab, once more haggling our fare in order to get 5 of us into the cab’s 4 seats. 
The night ended with Alice, Courtney and I in McDonald’s.  Courtney gave all of her coins to a little boy and his grandma, and I tried to give a little kid who was peddling fake flowers a French fry instead of money.  She just ended up looking confused and possibly a little disturbed as she went off to sell her wares elsewhere.
The next day was considerably quieter, with Alice and I opting to do dinner at TianZiFang.  Let me just say, it was a fantastic decision.  We went to a Balinese restaurant, which had fantastic food paired with a great atmosphere.  After dinner, we hit up a club called Glo, which was having free Mojitos until 11.  We were worried that they would be terrible, but that Mojito was, quite possibly, the best Mojito I’ve ever had.  I’m pretty sad I’ll never get to go there for another one while I’m here.
Friday was a big night out, and really our first since arriving in Shanghai, since we’ve travelled every other weekend.  We went out to a place called Mural, which was offering a deal of 100rmb (about $15) for all you could drink.  Oh dear.  Never a good thing.  Shots and Mixed drinks were flowing freely, and at one point every one of us had two drinks in our hands.  The bar itself was fashioned to look like a cave, and was really quite pretty.  The music had been plucked straight out of the 1970’s, which was weird, but a nice reprieve from the loud, frantic pop anthems of the clubs (and pretty much everywhere else in Shanghai, I think there’s a set playlist that is passed out to all of the bars and clubs). 
There was much dancing on stage, although Alice and I managed to lose Toni, Lauren and Courtney after awhile.  No matter, though, two of us were enough to get home, and we were having a fun time dancing with a Czech guy who was even cheesier than us (and if you’ve ever seen me dance, that’s a FEAT.)  By around 2:30, the club was thinning out, and Alice and I went out to find somewhere else or maybe go home.  We ended up eating some street food and then, because Alice bought the most firey Chili I’ve ever tasted, going to a club for a quick drink.  It turned out to be a super weird club, with girls dressed in gold studded outfits dancing on platforms (but you couldn’t take pictures of them).  We stayed for as long as it took to finish a beer and then high-tailed it out of there.  By the time we got back to the room it was nearly 4, so we opted to stay up and watch the opening ceremonies. 
I will preface this by saying I have not had the opportunity to watch the ceremony at a reasonable hour, in English and without alcohol in my system, but it was really bad.  It felt a little frantic and extremely over the top.  A lot of it didn’t make sense.  Bad vibes were everywhere.  When the sun came up at 5, we decided to abandon the ceremony and turn in. 
Saturday, I visited the Yuyuan Gardens, which are, like the Summer Palace in Beijing, a great escape right in the middle of the city.  The gardens were stunning and peaceful (despite the hoardes of other tourists) and thoroughly enjoyable.
I also discovered “the noodle man” on Saturday.  This noodle man sets up shop right near our apartment, with 5 different noodle styles, spices, veggies and a hot wok on his cart.  Getting the noodles is a long process, because the man is a master and the line is long.  I was finally able to pay, pointing at the noodles I wanted, but he was still in the process of cooking a few other orders.  When I knew it was my turn, a girl tried to push in and order.  However, the noodle man was fair and told her “no, it’s the laowai’s turn.”  (Or some approximation of that, he shook his head and I heard “laowai”.)  The noodles were worth the wait.  I actually think they’re the best noodles I’ve ever had.
The master at work.

On Sunday, the five of us participated in “The Crazy Race.”  The race had a number of tasks that involved making a fool of ourselves around town.  One task was “get a picture of you playing rock, paper scissors with a local child under 12.”  Well, two crying children later, we finally found one.  However, I did feel kind of bad about striking terror into the hearts of two young Chinese children.  We would say hello, ask the parents for a picture, and then the parents would try to shove the kid at us while the kid shook in terror or tried to run.  I guess we really are “frightening foreigners.”  All in all it was a fun day, and I can’t wait to get my hands on Courtney’s copies of the photos (she had the “team camera”).  After the race, we all convened at a sports bar, where the winners were announced and the drinks were on sale.  Unfortunately, we came 4th, but it was still a good time.  I think, however, the highlight of my night came when Alice, Ingrid and I were outside (Alice and I barefoot), coming back from the convenience store.  One of the guys we had met earlier in the month was getting out of a cab in front of the apartments.  He was alone, with a full shopping bag and a half drunk beer.  After his cab driver opened Ingrid’s beer on the stone steps with some considerably impressive skill, we talked with him a bit.  Everything he said was “we did this” or “we went here.”  This was confusing, because he was alone.  He then showed us some panda gloves, complete with big ole panda claws, that he bought at a market.  The weird part?  They were each sold separately!  I’m not sure what you could do with one panda hand, but apparently it’s a thing.  I then took a picture of him mauling Alice with them and we bid him and his multiple personalities good night.  You’ve just got to love weird late-night encounters.

Yesterday was fairly quiet, but we did cocktails at the Peninsula, which boasts one of the best views in Shanghai.  We were sat on a terrace, with the Pearl Tower lit up right behind us and Pudong’s skyline shining brilliantly around it.  Boats shining like Christmas lights floated languidly down the river, presumably carrying nighttime dinner revelers, and even a few stars came out to play. 
Such a beautiful skyline - I'll miss that.

Tonight we’re doing a swank dinner at M on the Bund, probably followed by another cocktail at the Peninsula, and then it’s time to think about going back to reality.  Next time I write will probably be from my couch in Knoxville, and while I have thoroughly enjoyed by time here, I can’t wait to be sitting in my own apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment