Thursday, July 12, 2012

Ladies Night, etc...

Let me just say straight off ... Shanghai knows how to do ladies night.

We had a group KTV outing (that's karaoke television) last night, and during the event there were whispers of a ladies night, where girls drank free all night.  Since none of us could say no to a free drink, we all piled into a cab around 10 and headed to a bar called Zapato's.  When I heard "free margaritas" I was picturing a drink that was mostly ice and not much tequila.  I was wrong.  These were real, proper margaritas and they were, indeed, absolutely free.  The only money any of us had to spend was on transport.  The bar was filled with ex-pats and dancing on the bar was encouraged.  Fun place. We decided this might have to be a regular wednesday thing.

On the way home, 5 of us piled into a 4 person cab and proceeded to piss off our cab driver enough that he charged us 80rmb when we got back to the apartments.  I'm pretty sure that was only a 30rmb ride, so the rest was probably an "extra person and you're all drunk" charge.  Oh well.  Such is life.  At least there were five of us to split costs.

On Tuesday, we had our first mandarin lessons.  I can now, kind of, count to 20.  I can also say "I am american" and "My name is Amy."  I'd like to get a little bit better, because right now I have the speaking skills of a 9 month old.

Apparently, I also have the chopstick skills of an infant.  Today at lunch my colleague was watching me try to eat (I think I do ok... I don't hold them right but the food gets to my mouth) and told me that it was like watching a baby try to feed itself.  She then handed me a spoon to eat my rice with.

This weekend I'm heading off to Hangzhou and Moganshan, which they promise us is beautiful.  I'm pretty excited to head out of the city for the weekend and maybe get some fresh[er] air.

No comments:

Post a Comment