Wednesday, July 20, 2011

To Some Wonderful Women...

In the past 7 years, I have had the opportunity to spend time with and work with some truly incredible horsewomen. They have offered me guidance, encouragement, a sympathetic ear and a supportive shoulder. They have quelled my fears, boosted my confidence and improved my horsemanship skills. They have invited me into their homes and allowed me into their lives.
Together, we have risen high and fallen hard. We have taken the horses countless trips and covered thousands of miles. We have laughed and cried, cursed and joked. We have seen each other at our best and at our worst. We have battled through exhaustion, illness and injury. We have done it with a smile.
We have chased down loose horses together. We’ve whined and sighed about 3AM wake-up calls and 16-hour workdays. We’ve kept each other company in the emergency room and the horse-hospital. We’ve seen each other bleed – physically and emotionally – and we’ve seen each other sweat. We’ve slogged through snow, mud and humidity to get the barn chores done. We’ve poulticed, wrapped, given shots, crushed up pills, dressed wounds and iced legs. We’ve come home from shows with ribbons, and we’ve come home from shows with heartache.
I can’t explain how privileged I have been to work with these brilliant, talented, kind-hearted women. These women have made me exponentially stronger, but they have also made me kinder, more humble. They have taught me that hard work is still valued and rewarded. Most importantly, they have given me the confidence to follow my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment