Sunday, February 21, 2010

Dee's First Bra

I got Dee a bra the other day. I've been meaning to get one for awhile because she's getting little rubs on her shoulders from her blanket, and I actually stumbled across one for free! We had someone drop off bags full of blankets and tack the other day at work, and upon sifting through it I found a shoulder guard that, while not sellable due to a small rip, was perfectly adequate for my purposes... and it's RED! Jackpot!
It fits her pretty well, too. I put it on and told her how lovely she looked in her first bra... she responded with a VERY ugly face, so I told her that once summer came around we could have a bra burning ceremony. That seemed to cheer her up again... God I love that mare, she's such an adorable little character.


I am currently working on my senior paper for Post, which is about the Thoroughbred (history, current issues and future). In doing all of my research, I read a lot about several illustrious sires such as eclipse, herod, man o' war, etc. I also read about 3 european stallions that were introduced to provide more size. Well, after all this reading about pedigrees and such, I decided to look a little further into Dee's. The exciting part? I really can trace her all the way back to the Godolphin Arabian, Byerley Turk and Darley Arabian. I also found Herod, Eclipse, Man o' War, the Tetrarch, Sickle, and Roberto, among others. I also scrounged up a picture of her sire, Action This Day.. Here he is. I like him. All in all, Dee actually has a decent pedigree (not ridiculously inbred), and while that may no have translated into good racing skills, I'm hoping it will translate into eventing skills. I mean, she's got a good head on her shoulders at least, so that's a good start! Does she have a stubborn streak? I think so... but I also think that she's the type that will test her boundaries and, once they are established, will be happy to comply. That's how Tango was, a little bit. And but for his chronic injury, he would have been brilliant. So maybe Dee will be brilliant, but I'll settle for just having a horse that I can enjoy, which I think she will be.
Ok, enough of my rambling.

No comments:

Post a Comment