Wednesday, October 27, 2010

attack of the killer blanket!

I got a phone call from Pete yesterday when I got to the barn to tell me that Dee had gotten herself into a big mess that morning. You know how the belly straps of a blanket double up when you adjust them? Well, she apparently got her hind leg stuck in the doubled part of her belly strap. Luckily, Pete seems to have found her right after it happened, because there are no cuts and the leg isn't swollen. The strap was apparently very tight on her hock, so I can only imagine how badly things might have ended if it hadn't been noticed quickly.
Poor Pete had no cut the strap in order to get it off of her, because he couldn't budge it with his hands. When I got there, I didn't notice any heat or swelling, but I did notice that she was very sensitive to touch. I gave her 2g of bute just in case and will check her again today. I would really like to know how she managed to get her hind leg through her belly strap, though.

Nikki, another one of stephie's former working students, is going to come up soon to ride my baby! I'm hoping to get some video of it so that I can use it for my class presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment