Friday, December 18, 2009

Discotrax!

Well, it's official. As of yesterday I am the new owner of Disco, a 3 year old TB mare. Megan and I drove up to Millbrook in the FREEZING cold to get her vetted, and once she had passed with flying colors, we loaded her up and brought her home to Litchfield. She was very calm and collected about the entire thing. When I went to take her out of the trailer, I undid her from the trailer tie, hooked on her lead rope and tossed it over her neck, and then undid the back of the trailer. As I was standing at the back of the trailer, all of the bars and doors down and ready for her to leave, she just sort of turned around and looked at me, as if to say "excuse me? why aren't you UP HERE? Shouldn't you be leading me down?" But a little coaxing convinced her that it was not such a big deal and she calmly wandered down the ramp.





Casper, Roxi and Summer thought she was a totally big deal, and there was some curious through-the-bars sniffing with minor squealing (mostly from Disco) but no striking or otherwise bad behavior. I'm hoping to toss her out with them today, so fingers crossed that all will go well.
Once she got in her stall, she set right to gobbling down her hay - always a good thing. I let her do that for a bit while I unhitched the trailer and got her stuff situated, then I took her out for a mini-tour of the property (a mini-tour because walking up the driveway more closely resembled trekking through the frozen tundra, with very high, totally frigid wind.)
She took everything in stride.







Following our little tour, it was time to introduce her to her new blanket, which she was none to thrilled about. Those hind leg straps were EVIL, and she wanted to teach them a lesson, which meant almost kicking me, which resulted in her getting in trouble. She responded to getting in trouble by squealing at me, throwing a small fit, and then standing like a little soldier while I did up the rest of the blanket. Oh mares. I forgot what divas they can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment