Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Jumping!

Well, it's official. Tango did his first little jump set on Monday, and I was very proud of him. Julie rode him for me, since I don't think it's entirely smart to jump just yet (pretty soon, though! my back is getting better all the time!). We started him off over a tiny little vertical, trotting back and forth quietly, then raised it a little (to about 2', 2'3") and had him trot over it a few more times. I then added another fence to make it an 18' one stride.
It took a few tries for Julie to get him to settle enough not to eat the distance completely, but they got the hang of it and he did it a few times VERY nicely. Yay!
We called it quits after that, because I'm terrified of him going lame. I linimented his legs up and turned him back out. He got yesterday off because A) I'm paranoid about him going lame and B) he hadn't gotten a day off since the previous wednesday, so he was due. I went up and checked on him, though, and he was sound and happy.
Today we just did a quick flat session, mostly long and low.
I'm hope hope hoping to be able to go up to Stephie's next weekend, if she's around. I'd really like to be able to have a nice proper jump set with her.
In other news, Julie and her little mare Dixie may be coming to Riga Meadow, too! That would be tres cool, and I'm going to see if Jen might be able to do an XC school with us at the beginning of July.
In other OTHER news, big BIG news, Dusty is due to foal ANY DAY NOW! I will post a million baby + mommy pictures as soon as I can!
I'll also post the one or two pictures from Tang's jump school, even though there are no real jumping pictures... just a few failed attempted and some flat work ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment